Current History, Vol. VIII, No. 3, June 1918: A Monthly Magazine of the New York TimesVarious
History
Current History, Vol. VIII, No. 3, June 1918: A Monthly Magazine of the New York Times
Various
World War, 1914-1918
At that time the Field Marshal was under the impression that the
Cabinet had taken a decision without his consent. The Chief of the
Imperial Staff upon that sent the following memorandum to the War
Cabinet. I will read it, but first, with reference to the Boulogne
Conference, I may, perhaps, say that that was the first time we had
a discussion with the French Ministers. The subject of discussion
was a rather important foreign office. It was not summoned in the
least to discuss an extension of the lines. We never knew that was
to be raised. Sir William Robertson and I represented the British
Government, and M. Painlevé, the Prime Minister, and General Foch
represented the French Government.
When Sir William Robertson discovered that the Field Marshal was
under the impression that we had come to a decision without his
consent he sent the War Cabinet a memorandum, in which he says:
"At the recent Boulogne Conference the question of extending our
front was raised by the French representatives. The reply given was
that, while in principle we were, of course, ready to do whatever
could be done, the matter was one which could not be discussed in
the absence of Sir Douglas Haig, or during the continuance of the
present operations, and that due regard must also be had to the plan
of operations for next year.
"It was suggested that it would be best for the Field Marshal to
come to an arrangement with General Pétain, when this could be done.
So far as I am aware no formal discussion has taken place, and the
matter cannot be regarded as decided. Further, I feel sure that the
War Cabinet would not think of deciding such a question without
first obtaining Sir Douglas Haig's views. I am replying to him in
the above sense."
That, I think, was on the 19th of October. The War Cabinet fully
approved of the communication. Sir Douglas Haig communicated, and
said that it threw a new light on the Boulogne position. I think
that we have a right to complain of the way in which it has been
rumored about that Sir Douglas Haig protested.
The War Cabinet's Decision
The fact that Sir William Robertson had explained and Sir Douglas
Haig had stated that the explanation threw new light has never been
repeated. That is how mischief is done.
On Oct. 24 this question was first formally discussed by the War
Cabinet. There was further pressure from the French Government, and
Sir William Robertson gave his views as to the time which the
British Government ought to take, and this conclusion is recorded in
the minutes of the War Cabinet as follows:
Public-domain text, read in full here on John Shaqi.
Reviews
Reviews
No reviews yet
Be the first to share your thoughts on this work.
Elsewhere in the archive
Join the Discussion
Join the discussion
Sign in to leave a comment or review.
Sign InorCreate an account