Final Report of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition CommissionLouisiana Purchase Exposition Commission
History
Final Report of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Commission
Louisiana Purchase Exposition Commission
Louisiana Purchase Exposition (1904 : Saint Louis, Mo.)
contract at a figure to be agreed upon, and they to own and dispose of
all the material themselves. Mr. Krug studied awhile and said that he
would be willing to do the work for President Francis, but it would take
him some time to figure on the proposition so as to submit an
intelligent figure. President Francis said that if they decided to wreck
the buildings themselves on a contract that he would let him know when
his bid would be wanted. At this time President Francis requested Mr.
Krug to submit in writing his bid for $76,600 and have it in by 10
o'clock the next morning. We then left the room, and they requested us
to remain in the anteroom. We were there until about 6 o'clock. During
that time they called in other bidders. About 6 o'clock Mr. Taylor's
secretary came into the room and announced that the salvage committee
had adjourned until the next day at 2 p. m. We then left the grounds and
went to the Lindell Hotel. When we reached the hotel that night we made
up a revised bid. The next day we went to Mr. Taylor's office about 10
a. m. and gave to Mr. Taylor's clerk the bid in writing for $76,600, and
he said he would bring it to the attention of the committee when they
met. We waited there from 10 a. m. until 2 p. m. In the meantime Mr.
Krug sent in his card to Mr. Taylor's office and asked if any action
would be taken on the bids that afternoon. We were informed that nothing
would be done with the bids that day, and that the salvage committee had
adjourned until the following Monday. I left St. Louis that night for
Chicago. I returned to St. Louis on Monday, November 14, 1904, arriving
there at 10 a. m. Mr. Krug remained in St. Louis all the time. When I
returned to St. Louis Mr. Krug and I went to Mr. Taylor's office. We
reached there about 10 a. m., Monday, November 14. We waited there until
about 2.30 or 3 p. m. While we were waiting in the anteroom Mr. Taylor's
private secretary came in and told us that all bids had been rejected.
We then left the grounds, and Mr. Krug and I returned to Chicago that
night.
I never saw by the papers or otherwise where new bids were requested
after the announcement that the first bids had been rejected. I watched
the papers very closely, as we were desirous of submitting a new bid
when called for.
From what I saw while I was in the anteroom and in the committee room I
am fully convinced that the Chicago House Wrecking Company was given
inside information as to what property was to be sold, and I consider
that they were given privileges and favored from the beginning of the
deal, in view of the fact that a majority of the bidders desired their
bids opened in public, while the Harris brothers protested against such
procedure, and they were sustained in their protest by the salvage
committee.
Public-domain text, read in full here on John Shaqi.
Reviews
Reviews
No reviews yet
Be the first to share your thoughts on this work.
Elsewhere in the archive
Join the Discussion
Join the discussion
Sign in to leave a comment or review.
Sign InorCreate an account