Final Report of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition CommissionLouisiana Purchase Exposition Commission
History
Final Report of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Commission
Louisiana Purchase Exposition Commission
Louisiana Purchase Exposition (1904 : Saint Louis, Mo.)
Through a friend, Mr. Krug received specifications and instructions for
the wrecking and removal of certain buildings at the St. Louis
Exposition. These specifications were obtained from Mr. Isaac S. Taylor,
director of works of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. After we had
looked over the specifications Mr. Krug suggested that we go to St.
Louis and look over the plans and the buildings, with a view of
submitting a bid on the work. Mr. Krug, Mr. Powers, and myself arrived
in St. Louis on October 24, 1904. We called at Mr. Taylor's office that
day. I asked for Mr. Taylor, but was informed by some clerk there that
Mr. Taylor was too busy and could not see us. I talked with his
secretary, Mr. Carl Hoblitzelle, in the presence of Mr. Krug and Mr.
Powers. He told us he could answer all questions. I told him I wanted to
look at the plans, as we desired to figure on some of the buildings that
were to be disposed of. He took us into another room where the plans
were stored and introduced us to some gentleman in charge there. I
requested the plans from this gentleman. I asked for the plans for the
Agricultural and Horticultural buildings. After we had finished looking
these two plans over I looked around for the young man to ask for more
plans, but could not find him, and we went to the shelves and got down
the plans ourselves.
While we were there looking over the plans some gentleman came into the
room and spoke to Mr. Krug. Later on I asked Mr. Krug who the gentleman
was, and he told me it was a Mr. Frank Harris, of the Chicago House
Wrecking Company. Mr. Krug further stated that Mr. Harris was a resident
of Chicago, but was then interested in the Ferris Wheel at the
exposition. We remained in St. Louis for two days longer looking over
the plans and buildings, and then returned to Chicago. I never saw any
notice in the newspaper requesting sealed proposals for the wrecking and
removal of the exposition buildings. The first I knew about it was when
Mr. Krug received the specifications from his friend. We talked over the
matter of submitting bids on the work. On the 9th of November, 1904; Mr.
Krug and Mr. Schmitt, a bookkeeper for Mr. Krug, went to St. Louis to
submit a bid on the work, according to the specifications and
instructions prepared by Mr. Taylor, director of works. The bids were to
be in Mr. Taylor's office by 12 o'clock noon Thursday, November 1 1904.
Mr. Schmitt returned to Chicago on Friday night. Mr. Krug remained in
St. Louis. Mr. Schmitt went to St. Louis again on Monday, November 14.
On Tuesday, November 15, Mr. Krug and Mr. Schmitt returned to Chicago
and told me that all the bids had been rejected. Mr. Krug desired that
some one be on the ground to look after his interests, and suggested
that I go to St. Louis and keep in touch with affairs there and try and
ascertain what was going on. I left Chicago for St. Louis on Sunday,
November 20, 1904, and arrived at St. Louis morning of November 21.
Public-domain text, read in full here on John Shaqi.
Reviews
Reviews
No reviews yet
Be the first to share your thoughts on this work.
Elsewhere in the archive
Join the Discussion
Join the discussion
Sign in to leave a comment or review.
Sign InorCreate an account