U.S. Marine Operations in Korea, 1950-1953, Volume 2 (of 5): The Inchon-Seoul OperationMontross, Lynn
History
U.S. Marine Operations in Korea, 1950-1953, Volume 2 (of 5): The Inchon-Seoul Operation
Montross, Lynn
Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Campaigns; United States. Marine Corps -- History -- Korean War, 1950-1953
A military ceremony was held on 21 September when the commanding
general of X Corps established his CP in Inchon and assumed command at
1700 of all forces ashore. It was stated in some reports that command
had been transferred from the commander of JTF-7 to the commander of X
Corps. But officers familiar with amphibious doctrine pointed out that
at no time prior to landing did CG X Corps relinquish command; and only
through him did the commander of JTF-7 exercise command.[311]
[311] MarCorps Board _Study_, II-B, 32.
The date was also significant for the 1st Marine Division in that its
third rifle regiment, the 7th Marines, landed at Inchon with Major
Francis F. Parry’s 3d Battalion of the 11th Marines attached. Before
the ships reached the inner harbor, Colonel Litzenberg went ashore and
reported at the Division CP. Informing General Smith that troop units
in the convoy had been vertically loaded for maximum flexibility, he
asked what troops the Division commander desired to have unloaded first.
“An infantry battalion,” said General Smith.
“And what next?”
“Another infantry battalion,” said the commanding general.
Colonel Litzenberg began unloading at once, and by 2200 his CP had
opened at Wonjong-ni, two miles south of Kimpo Airfield, while H&S
Company and the 3d Battalion (Major Maurice E. Roach) occupied near-by
assembly areas. The 2d Battalion (Lieutenant Colonel Thornton M.
Hinkle) had reached an assembly area at Hill 131, a mile north of
Kimpo, by 0100 on 22 September with a mission of providing security for
the airfield and a river crossing site. The 1st Battalion (Lieutenant
Colonel Raymond G. Davis) was given the duty of unloading the ships of
the convoy.[312]
[312] MajGen H. L. Litzenberg memo to authors, 11 May 55.
It appeared for a few hours on 21 September that the enemy might be
planning to retake Kimpo Airfield. At 0730 a report came to the 3d
Battalion, KMC Regiment, warning of an attempted NKPA crossing of the
Han in the area about seven miles northwest of the field. Air strikes
were called immediately with the result of dispersing the enemy. At
1310, however, an estimated two NKPA battalions were reported in front
of KMC positions by the air liaison officer attached to the battalion.
All units in the Kimpo area were alerted to the possibility of attack.
The CO of the 1st Shore Party Battalion was designated as coordinator
of defensive forces consisting of his unit, and elements of the 1st
Engineer Battalion, 1st Tank Battalion, 1st Ordnance Battalion, and 1st
Amphibian Tractor Battalion. Army troops of the 56th Amphibian Tractor
Battalion were also ordered to Kimpo.
Public-domain text, read in full here on John Shaqi.
Reviews
Reviews
No reviews yet
Be the first to share your thoughts on this work.
Elsewhere in the archive
Join the Discussion
Join the discussion
Sign in to leave a comment or review.
Sign InorCreate an account